Where are you teaching next?
Through seven modern campuses and with a large team of professional teachers, Vietnam Australia School (VAS) offers a highly unique and integrated bilingual education system of nearly 9,500 predominantly Vietnamese students from Kindergarten to Grade 12. As our student base is growing even stronger, we are truly excited about having a highly motivated, enthusiastic and capable Secondary PE Teacher/Coordinator to join us.
5 reasons to teach in Vietnam and at VAS
Compared to many countries in the west, Vietnam is a tropical paradise that is having one of the highest economic growth rates on the planet. It is currently the ideal place for many international teachers due to its cheap cost of living, rich culture, fantastic food, friendly people, and wonderful students.
One of the worlds' absolute best countries to work in - Vietnam is ranked as the 2nd Best Destination for Expats in 2019 by InterNations, and as #10 of Top Countries for Expats in 2019 by HSBC.
Fantastic students - Vietnamese students are among the top performances globally standing above the OECD average in the latest PISA ranking.
Culturally diverse teaching environment - VAS has around 1,100 local and International teachers supporting our highly successful integrated curriculum between Cambridge International and Vietnamese National Programs.
Career progression - being part of a fast growing school of 7 campuses and nearly 9,500 students, teachers have a chance to take on more responsibilities and to gain further accreditation through our Cambridge International Professional Development Centre. Many of our teachers are promoted internally each year.
Salary & benefits - you should be able to save more in Vietnam compared to your home country as our job offer include expat benefits, such as competitive tax free salary, monthly housing allowance, relocation allowance, tuition waiver for up to two children, international health insurance, 12 weeks of paid holidays, retention bonus, and more.
What you will do?
As a Teacher/Coordinator of our PE department, you will be joining a supportive, welcoming and successful team, with excellent outcomes. The key duties of this role will include:
PE Coordinator -The role of the PE Coordinator is to coordinate the planning and implementation of the PE programme across VAS seven campuses. The PE Coordinator manages the curriculum and teacher schedules and oversees the implementation of the department's strategic plan. This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced leader or an experienced PE teacher looking for the next step in their career. You will be responsible for running a successful department and should have previous experience implementing outstanding teaching and learning practices both within the classroom and across a wider department setting.
PE Teacher - The main role of the Teacher is to maximise student learning and development through the planning, preparation and teaching of the curriculum to meet students’ individual learning needs and achieve specific student outcomes. Teachers teach a range of student abilities and classes and are accountable for the effective delivery of their curriculum. The teacher engages in critical reflection in order to improve their knowledge and skills to better engage students and improve their learning.
- Leading the PE Programme’s strategic development, finding new opportunities to promote participation and engagement
- Managing the list of codes, to be reflective of the needs of the school and its community context
- Reporting to the Central Academic Team on an ongoing basis about issues affecting the programme, and advising the Academic Board about programme development and management as appropriate
- Acting as the PE and Sports Coordinator for VAS for all internal and external competitions
- Ensuring that all PE Health and Safety and VAS policies are adhered to and liaising with all relevant staff in meeting this compliance
- Developing and maintaining a high profile for all PE and sporting activities through school publications, website, newsletter, etc
- Applying appropriate procedures for evaluating and reporting upon sporting activities i.e. in the event of an accident, near misses, etc.
- Managing, coordinating and communicating the PE Calendar to all stakeholders
- Managing a PE budget and ensuring procurement policy is adhered to
- Acting as the visible representative in SISAC, ASIAN, etc.
- Developing the capacity of PE teachers within the department
Teaching and Assessment
- Planning lessons and sequences of lessons to meet student’s individual learning needs and to ensure student’s progression
- Using a range of appropriate strategies for teaching and learning and classroom management
- Using flexible groupings and structured inquiry to deliver high quality lessons in line with the VAS PE philosophy
- Maintaining a well organised and stimulating learning environment
Wider Professional roles
- Planning and engaging in professional learning activities that support school and systematic priorities
- Taking responsibility for own professional development and using the outcomes to improve teaching and students’ learning
- Making an active contribution to the policies and aspirations of the school
- Ensuring administration of classroom procedures are completed efficiently
Additional responsibilities may include
- Assisting with or managing an aspect of daily school management
- Assisting campus level co-ordinators, curriculum co-ordinators, student management co-ordinators, academic and non-academic director of studies with the performance of specific functions
- Assisting with or managing a specialist function such as sport, careers, student welfare, excursions or camps co-ordination
Your background and experience
This is a certified teaching position that requires you to have a recognised teaching qualification in education. Furthermore, we are looking for a teacher with the following traits and behaviours:
- Bachelor Degree in Education, or Bachelor Degree in any subjects with PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate of Education), or equivalent
- A proven track record of outstanding teaching and learning
- Significant experience of the National Curriculum for England
- Strong curiosity in learning about other cultures and working with diverse people
- Genuine interest in the field of Physical Education
- Open mindset and ability to develop efficient student and parent’s relationships
- Willingness to embrace our VAS core values
As an international teacher our package will include a competitive base salary, monthly housing allowance, relocation allowance, visa and work permit reimbursement, settling-in allowance, tuition waiver for up to two children, medical insurance, 12 weeks of paid holidays, retention bonus, and more. In addition, you will have generous non-contact time for planning, preparation and professional growth.
Please send in your full application including your resume, cover letter, scans of all relevant documents/certifications, three references, and a copy of your passport.
For further guidance regarding your written application and tips from VAS, please visit our Job Application Guide.
Note regarding covid and vaccine
Before joining VAS, teachers must submit a copy of their covid-19 green card/covid passport/or similar copy including the information of two 2 jabs, the dates of each jab, and the type of vaccine. It is a compulsory requirement from Department of Health and Department of Education and Training (DOET) in Vietnam